Wednesday 12 March 2014

Empties #1

My first empties post, a real blogger feat indeed!


I find empties posts interesting and I enjoy reading them, for two reasons:
  1. I feel they provide you with the most representative review of a product. If you've used up a whole bottle/tub/tube (etc), during that time you will have surely come to some sort of conclusion about the product.
  2. Empties posts tend to reveal whether someone intends to repurchase a product again.
I've used up quite a few products since January and being the hoarder that I am I have kept them for my own blogging pleasure.

I did intend to start this blog in January, hence the backlog of products but as my blog name suggests... Better Ni than never. (Insert wink emote here)

So here's what I've used up:




Lush Angels on Bare Skin Fresh Facial Cleanser - £6.35

I enjoyed using this cleanser, I used it most days for around three months until it ran out and it always left my skin feeling extremely soft after use. It promises to "even out skin tone, reduce redness and improve the health and appearance of your skin, giving a natural glow". I found it did improve the health and appearance of my skin, however I didn't notice it reducing any redness. The product contains chamomile blue and lavender oils, which promise to calm and soothe the skin. Soothing it sure is. I never used this cleanser to remove my make up, I'd always use it on bare skin (no pun intended there). As instructed on the tub I would use a pea sized piece of this, put it in my hand, add some water, before mixing to a paste like consistency. I would then apply it over the face, then rinse it off with warm water, revealing baby soft skin. Yay! Another plus is that it smells good, in an earthy kind of way.  Would I repurchase this again? Yes but not urgently.

L'Oeal Lumi Magique Concealer in Light - £8.49

This was nice... however I must say, that I use the word 'nice' to indicate that something isn't amazing but it's a tad better than okay. I wasn't blown away by this product. It made for a fairly good, brightening under eye concealer but it didn't do much in the way of covering up any blemishes. The product blended well and I enjoyed the brush applicator. It was also a good colour match for me. I also liked the look of the packaging, however it didn't last me long at all, I don't think it even reached the two month mark and I wasn't slapping this stuff on heavily either! Personally, I prefer Collection's Lasting Perfection Concealer by a country mile. The coverage is better, it lasts longer AND costs an amazing £4.19. Would I repurchase Lumi Magique again? No.

VO5 Smoothly Does It Tame and Shine Spray - £3.89

I repurchase this stuff time and time again. I'm not a massive haircare expert and I must admit I do kind of neglect my hair for the most part. I would walk over hot coals barefoot to maintain my fringe but the rest of my hair doesn't always get the TLC it needs really. Shame on me. However, I do use my hairdryer and straighteners and totally recognise the importance of a good heat defence spray and this is a good heat defence spray! I spray a small amount on dry hair after blow drying and before using my straighteners and I always find it protects my hair from the heat and keeps my hair smooth and fairly frizz free. I don't even need to ask whether I would repurchase this because I do and will, time and time again!

No7 Quick Cover Blemish Stick in Fair - £7.50

When my skin wasn't suffering from drier spells, this stuff was okay. However, it would cling terribly to any dry patches. The coverage was okay but generally I think there are better concealers out there. This took me ages to use up and I believe (correct me if I'm wrong here) that it's now been discontinued. I think its equivalent now is No7's Match Made Concealer. I doubt I will try that based on my experience with this product.

Balance Me Balancing Face Moisturiser - £24

This was a joy to use. This is one of the best moisturisers I've ever used and I was sad to finish this. I think I got this sample free with a magazine. I haven't got round to purchasing a full size of this. The price does put me off a little as I've used good moisturisers for much less BUT it was something special, so maybe one day... The product claims to "soothe, calm and hydrate", I can definitely say it does. I applied this to cleansed skin and it always left my skin extremely hydrated and soft. The product is of 99 per cent natural origin and is formulated with meadowfoam, moringa, rice bran oils, vitamins and anti-oxidants, as well as pure neroli, bergamot, frankinense (AND MYRRH - jokes), petitgrain, lemongrass and spruce knot. Overall a lovely product. I must add, it did have a slight earthy smell but it wasn't offensive at all. Would I purchase a full size of this? Mmm, maybe, like I say the price puts me off a tad though.

L'Oreal Skin Perfection 3 in 1 Purifying Micellar Solution - £4.99

I was a bit of a latecomer to the micellar water party but I'm glad I showed up in the end! This is L'Oreal's 'Bioderma dupe/micellar water offering'. I'm yet to try Bioderma as it's fairly difficult to get hold of in the UK, so of course seeing this dupe in the shops was exciting. This was my second or third bottle of this, which does indicate I like the product and I do. The product is supposed to act as a make up remover and toner in one. It removes all traces of make up, even mascara, however I do tend to use a separate eye make up remover now. You need to bear in mind this is a good make up remover but it shouldn't be your only cleansing step! To use this, I apply a cotton wool pad onto dry skin, hold over the skin for a few seconds then I just sweep away. One plus point is that this stuff is on offer ALL the time, so look out for that. Would I repurchase this again? Yes, however I'm looking to try other drugstore brands' micellar water offerings soon to see how they compare to this, that could result in a micellar water blog post soon so keep your eyes peeled for that!

L'Oreal Absolute Make Up Remover Eye & Lip - £4.99

This stuff is okay. This is my second bottle of this and I'm starting to feel unsure, I will use it up but I have realised this formula is quite greasy, despite its claims of being 'non greasy', and doesn't remove make up as swiftly as it should. Just like the micellar water except you have to shake this product well before use, I apply a cotton pad onto my eye this time, hold over for a few seconds then I gently sweep away. However, it does take a few cotton pads before my eye make up is totally removed. Would I repurchase this again? Hmm, no, I'm now looking to try a different eye make up remover.

L'Oreal False Lash Telescopic Mascara in Magnetic Black - £10.99

This stuff is absolutely excellent. This mascara proved to me that you don't need to spend £20+ for a good mascara. Big praise indeed but its my all time favourite mascara. L'Oreal says this mascara has 'infinite length effect fibers', meaning this mascara provides more length than it does volume but I don't mind that at all, as it doesn't give the type of length that screams 'spider lashes'. It separates my lashes well and the curl holds all day. My eyes can be quite watery and this stuff does not budge, which means no panda eyes, always a plus. Would I repurchase this again? Yes, yes, yes!


After thought: If this blog post was an episode of Friends, it may well have been called: 'The one with all the L'Oreal products' - totally unintentional, of course.



Follow me on Bloglovin':

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11870233/?claim=7hx5e9ntq8w">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>


No comments:

Post a Comment